In this podcast, you will learn:
- Understanding how to light for night exteriors using vehicles like a train:
- Understanding how a train’s lights work and how that can apply in a practical sense to your shoots.
- How to emulate a train’s lights to replicate that for a dramatic scene on set.
- Understanding the loophole when working with a train and how you can cheat it.
- How to utilize the “headlight gag effect” to get the most out of your lighting setup.
- How to land your first feature film:
- Understanding the steps to make yourself stand out from the rest in the job hiring process.
- What are directors and producers looking for?
- What knowledge should you come prepared with for an interview?
- Understanding how to breakdown a script and what should be going through your mind when reading it over.
- What will make you a better cinematographer and filmmaker in the long run.
- Understanding how to make the transition from smaller crews to mid-sized and larger productions:
- Knowing what you are going to be faced with during the transition.
- What you’ll need to prepare yourself with as a filmmaker.
- How to maintain a leadership role and communicate to your crew.
- Breaking down the steps to pre-production:
- What’s necessary to get the most out of your time as a filmmaker in pre-production.
- Understanding what might work for others might not work for you.
- What prepares Shane Hurlbut, ASC for his upcoming projects.
- Evaluating the current climate of the film industry and how a new age of Hollywood is around the corner:
- Discussing women’s involvement in cinema and the age of “new” perspective.
- How we all need to create a better environment for all involved in the film industry.
- Understanding our duties as filmmakers, but more importantly as human beings, working together in this world.
- Being a woman filmmaker in the industry and what you need to know:
- Understanding the challenges you might face entering into the industry.
- Not letting go of what is important to you as a woman filmmaker.
- Steps to getting a better foothold in the industry.
The film industry has had it’s fair shares of ups and downs. From Union Strikes, to Labor Disputes, and to Gender/Racial Equality… We are always learning how to make it a better and more inclusive environment for all involved.
In this podcast, Shane Hurlbut, ASC and Lydia Hurlbut discuss the steps we need to take as a filmmaking family, where our industry is going, and how we all need to stick together through the ups and downs.
Inner Circle Release: 10/27/17
Shane’s Inner Circle members through 12/27/17 received this content as part of their membership.
Join now and never miss an article like this!