The NeedCreative Podcast is an online radio show that covers topics related to creativity. I had the privilege of being the guest of co-hosts Paul Antico and Jason Sidelinger from Anticipate Media to discuss my history and experiences in the film industry. This was really fun, and I think you will enjoy the interview.
Some of the topics we discuss include:
• How I went from farmer’s son to a DJ to a Cinematographer
• The role of the cinematographer, serving the characters and story
• How a DP lights a scene and moves the camera to allow performances to shine, with an example from Crazy/Beautiful starring Kirsten Dunst
• How I approach each new script
• “Side by Side,” the “death of celluloid” and the new set of “digital film emulsions” available to us now
• DSLRs in filmmaking and the Canon 1DC
• My mentors, including Daniel Pearl and Herb Ritts
• The confusing mentality of the camera owner/operator, why renting matters
• The value in failure, my Barbie story
• Why no one camera fits all situations, how I approach their use
• Lighting from the soul, why light matters, shaping light
• How documentarians can utilize light, the right place at the right time for the camera
• Glass/lens choices
• The value of experience, my tips for upcoming filmmakers
• Deadfall and future projects
Listen to podcast episode 23, “Hurlbut’s Visuals”:
AAC/MP4 Audio File –
You can subscribe to the NeedCreative podcast feed directly in the iTunes store. Anticipate Media is owned and operated by Paul Antico, who has been offering production and postproduction services in the Greater Boston area for the past 22 years. Paul feels quite passionate about what he calls his innate need to create. “Everything we make as creatives should serve the story. It should serve the purpose of the work’s existence in an emotionally tangible way. I’m a firm believer that emotion should play a central part in the creation of moving pictures. The NeedCreative podcast is part of that grand creative purpose, if you will, of why I do what I do. It seeks to bring together similar people to myself, creators who strive for excellence, and to help them learn and grow from others. Shane’s participation in particular was central to that goal, and I am very appreciative for his participation. And all our listeners from over 70 countries around the world have most certainly agreed. Creativity is our passion, and we learned so much from Shane in his episode of the podcast.”
Thank you to Paul and Jason. Enjoy.
As cinematographers, our storytelling camera tools change on a monthly basis, and trying to keep up with all of...
The Illumination Experience Tour is in full swing. Here is a backstage tour of the movie sets we use...
If you are in the Los Angeles area, don't miss this free educational event coming up on May 31st...
The Hurlbut Visuals team is on the floor at NAB 2015, and we wanted to give you a flavor...
From an extra, to an actor, to a runner, to a production assistant, then a camera assistant, and now...
We have so many new digital tools at our disposal that you cannot just pick them up and start...
For all of you on the fence of about joining the Inner Circle, we wanted to share how extraordinary...
A reel is your creative expression and a very powerful tool to showcase unique talent.