Giving Back: Upcoming Events in Toronto and Santa Monica

“When you work hard and have done well and walk through that doorway of opportunity, you do not slam it shut behind you. No, you reach back and you give other folks the same chances that helped you succeed.” – Michelle Obama
From Lydia Hurlbut:

We’ve talked about it here on the Hurlblog before. Shane and I and our entire team make it a priority to give back to filmmakers, our local communities, and others worldwide who may benefit from our time and expertise. Shane feels like it is his responsibility to try to inspire and educate other filmmakers with the knowledge base and expertise acquired during his career – not when he retires, but right now, while he is pioneering these new technologies.

Lydia and Shane Hurlbut

Lydia and Shane Hurlbut

The next big project is shooting a new DreamWorks feature, Need for Speed. Because of the timing, this means that we will not be able to run a Hurlbut Visuals Bootcamp this year. Instead, we will continue to offer content rich posts and answers to comments on the blog, and when possible, Shane will do speaking gigs like the upcoming appearance in conjunction with the Toronto International Film Festival. This event is from 7:00 to 10:00pm on Saturday, September 15th, including showing the power of the Canon 5D MK III, C300 and never before seen C500 4K footage. This will help keep you current and increase your speed.

We hope to see you in Toronto for this free event about turning Canon cameras into movie making machines. There will be door prizes of a Master Cinema Series Action Cam from Letus Corporation and a free 3-Day Rental on a $5K Camera Package from Revolution Cinema Rentals. (Restrictions apply. Shipping not included.) You can register here for the event.

Shane and I will also be attending the “Gotta Give” fundraiser for “In True Fashion” on Thursday, September 20th in Santa Monica, California. In True Fashion, founded by Nancy Gale, is a competition-based entrepreneurial program that builds self-esteem and work ethic in low-income students through hands-on participation. Our team will be filming the event, and we continue to devote time and gear to this great organization. Both Shane and I will be serving as in-class mentors as well. Click here to purchase tickets for the fundraiser.

Hope to see you in Toronto, Santa Monica and here on the blog.

1. Jessica Green 3 years ago

Lydia,

Thank you for your post – I love the vision and passion of “In True Fashion,” what an amazing organization!

The fundraiser event in Santa Monica looks like it will be a lot of fun and I love the Fairmont-I think I will try and attend. I am considering buying one of their sponsorship packages offered on the website. Are you and Shane sponsoring? I am wondering if I become a gold sponsor if I have to speak or not (I definitely am not prepared to do that). :)

Thanks for all that you do in giving back,
    JG

2. Ron 3 years ago

Nice picture of you and your wife! At the end of the day, family is what life is about. Giving/helping others is part of life’s journey. By the way, you both look like movie stars. Cheers.

• Shane 3 years ago

Ron, Thanks so much Ron. Gotta to do it, so important.

3. Jack Hackett 3 years ago

Hey,

Will you ever come to Atlanta for any lectures or anything in the future near future?

• Shane 3 years ago

Jack Hackett, maybe we can do a little meet up when I am prepping Need for Speed in December.

4. Tim G 3 years ago

Shane, I really love your attitude, enthusiasm and fearlessness when it comes to your filmmaking and showing your passion. Im 27, study Screen and Media (Film Production) in Australia, and look to your work for technical guidance and to feed my hunger for knowledge – my teachers are really bad and hardly tell us any information and frustrates the ba-geezus outta me! So thankyou for doing what you do and hopefully you can bring your magic DOWNUNDER some time.. T

• Shane 3 years ago

Tim G, thank you for those amazing words, these are the comments that keep me pumped. We will continue to set ourselves apart from the others by delivery film education and not gear blogs. Lydia and I have talked about heading Downunder, would love to hook up. Let’s see what the future holds

5. Ansel 3 years ago

Thanks for all that you guys do for the community.

Lydia, it was great talking to you on Skype last week, from Australia. We’ll have to get you guys over here!

Shane, after talking to your wife and team, I can see that you have a great people behind you.

Lydia 3 years ago

Ansel – Great talking to you too last week. Let’s make it happen. We would love to get to Australia!

6. Ramses 3 years ago

Thank you so much for all your effort and thinking about other. Thank you

7. Jonathan Knox 3 years ago

While saddened to hear about the absence of the Hurlbut Visuals Bootcamp this year, I can definitely appreciate all that you do to give back to the filmmaker community. Any chance we might see Shane on a platform such as creative live?

8. Ryan Knight 3 years ago

Hey Shane and team.

Thanks so much for the MCS presentation last night, in Toronto. It was fantastic, educational and inspiring!

I can’t wait to get my hands on a Dreamcolor and experience it’s performance. Just gotta’ find one in Toronto!

Best,

Ryan (the guy in the green sweater).

• Shane 3 years ago

Ryan Knight, It was great meeting you and thank you so much for your support. Look forward to coming back, maybe after Need for Speed.

9. Scott David Martin 3 years ago

As much as I love the technical posts, I really love the posts about giving back. If you need any volunteers for the next bootcamp, I would be more than happy to help out. Attending the first bootcamp was a great learning experience for me and I would be happy to donate my time at the next one. Good luck on the Need for Speed!

10. Wilson 3 years ago

Hello Shane, okay?!

My name is Wilson, I am a cinemaker in Brazil, I have a photographic studio (studioflason.com) and work as a cinematographer and film direction.
    I am launching a website about film using DSLR. I wonder if I can translate some of your posts into Portuguese and put on my website.
    The site is under construction.
    Soon send the website link. Would you like to post about Act of Valor.
    Along with the site, I am releasing a short film of my own.