"Sports Authority" with the The Kessler V3 Crane and Revolution Head

When director Peter Odiorne asked me to shoot Sports Authority “Shoe,” the boards were ambitious to say the least. 47 set ups in a 14 hour day with 2 company moves, one that involved a 45 minute drive. I turned to the Canon 5D and 7D to pull this off. Using every trick in my arsenal, we employed Steadicam, Battering Ram Cam, ATV Shoulder Cam, Mini Van Cam, Roller Blade Chipper Cam, Kessler V3 Crane cam, Man Cam, Studio Cam, Rickety ass Trailer Cam and Action Cam.

HOT ROD PL mounted 7D and 5D’s were used for the majority of the photography. The Kessler V3 Crane and Revolution head were used to give us this amazing top down shot of our runner blasting through traffic from a six story building that did not have an elevator. The crane was brought up buy the grip department in three soft cases and assembled in less than thirty minutes. The revolution head handled all of the extra gack mounted to the 5Ds to enable everyone to view it. Panning and tilting with the Oracle controller worked very well and gave us the breath of fresh air shot in the mix of all the action oriented shots. Elite Team members Marc Margulies, and Jose De Los Angeles rocked it out along with Hayden Houser on the Kessler V3 Crane. HV Intern Danny Garcia was on the Roller Blade Chipper Cam. Please enjoy the BTS of Sports Authority “SHOE.”

1. Sebastian Kubatz 4 years ago

Very informative BTS, Shane.
    Thanks a lot for the insight.

How heavy was your camera setup on that Kessler crane and how did you get the Liveview image from the 5D to your directors monitor?

Is there a way to see the final spot?

Again, thanks a lot.
    Sebastian

Sebastian Kubatz, you are welcome. The rig weighed about 15 pounds. We sent the signal out of the TV logic monitor via SDI to the Marshall 24″ lighting monitor.

2. Jerry Rojas 4 years ago

Wow! I was about to tell that it looks like you had a blast doing it, but on second thought, you ALWAYS enjoy your work, and I’m sure that’s part of the secret of your success. Thanks for sharing.

Best

JR

Jerry Rojas, hello my friend. Great to hear from you and thank you for those wonderful words. We are coming back to Cancun soon. Love to have you on board Week of the 25th through the 1st of October.

3. Victor Ponce 4 years ago

Woww¡ i am impress of all the gear you guys have.

Amaizing¡ Hope to see the Sports Authority ad soon!

I know is gonna be amaizing…

Victor Ponce, thank you for the kind words of support. I will post the ad and a blog once we get permission.

An amazing achievement in such a short time frame. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Oli Kember, thank you so much for the wonderful words Oli.

5. Duane 4 years ago

Hey! I’ve seen this commercial! Great job, now I can ID this on the air and direct my fellow enthusiasts to your cite for the BTS footage… why is this and hotwheels not viewable on vimeo though?

6. mel haynes 4 years ago

love your BTS videos and the twitter updates as well. For people not following him on twitter, he has some great shots that he posts. As other people have mentioned, it sure looks like a lot of fun. The shorts that I am working on all are fun, but very stressful….probably because Im a one man team most of the time, but I still love it.

I just got a Kessler Crane, and its the KC-Lite, but damn I love that thing. Its a great product and very portable and easy to put together.

Anyway, thanks for all your contributions to the community.

mel haynes, thank you so much for your kind words, and following me on twitter. I try to be as transparent as possible, nothing secret here. Just a passionate filmmaker that loves what he does. I like that KC-lite as well, you can whip that together quickly.

7. Joseph 4 years ago

Shane, you need more of the Rickety Ass Trailer Cam in all of your projects.

Joseph, yeah baby. Dave my Key grip came up with that. I love it but I did almost die and that shot.

8. Dave Dugdale 4 years ago

That was great Shane, you are awesome for taking the time out to share that with us!

Dave

Dave Dugdale, thank you so much for those kind words. I love what I do.

9. Wayne 4 years ago

Awesome, thanks Shane!

Anyone got a link to the finished spot?

W.

Wayne, thank for the support. Finished spot will be out soon along with a blog.

10. Keith Lanpher 4 years ago

Impressive, How big was your crew for all those set ups, and did you use the same talent for all those takes?

Keith

Keith Lanpher, Thank you so much for your kind words. We had 3 A.C’s and 2 Camera PA’s. 3 grips and one Gaffer.

11. S. Allman 4 years ago

It looks like the video was set to private. Are you going to make it public again? I went to the Vimeo link and wasn’t able to watch the video.

S. Allman, it should be public, try again. So sorry for the inconvenience.

12. Rob W. Scribner 4 years ago

Wow that was awesome! I love your post, they always inspire me to go shoot something and prefect our craft. What I would give to be on a shoot with you guys and get to work with the king himself and everyone else on the amazing team. Thank you taking the time to create these post, they are the highlight of my week.

Rob W. Scribner, thank you so much for all of the support and kind words. I love my crew. They make me shine everyday. You are very welcome.

13. Tommy Oceanak 4 years ago

This was a great BTS video Shane, thanks for much for sharing. Seeing all those rigs was inspiring! As always, thanks for sharing, I look forward to more.

Tommy Oceanak, you are very welcome. Thanks for the kind words.

14. William Hellmuth 4 years ago

VERY cool. Me and my little production company work at that pace all the time, but we’ve got a long ways to go until we’re able to get the kinds of results you get. Very inspiring! Thanks for posting this. This might be wishful thinking, but any chance you could post a more detailed account of the day and how you were able to get so many setups in such a short period of time?

By the way, you shot this in Uptown Whittier where I live! It’s a really cool place to photograph. Lots of interesting architecture. Always happy to see stuff being shot here!

William Hellmuth, thank you so much for your support. We will do a more detailed post once we get the finished spot. I love Whittier homes those Craftsmen rock

15. Matt Short 4 years ago

“47 set ups in a 14 hour day with 2 company moves”… after seeing you and your team in action first hand, it really doesn’t sound like that big of a deal ;-) To those of you who haven’t figured it out yet, Shane is a machine! Julien, great job on the BTS.

Matt Short, thank you so much for your kind words my friend. We kicked some ass on Jeep. Thanks again for the great frames.

16. Hi Shane,

This is awesome stuff. You get to play with all the goodies out there. Can’t wait for the next Bootcamp… hopefully I’ll be able to join that.

Is there anywhere we can watch the final result?

Thanks so much.

Richard van den Boogaard, Thank you so much for the kind words and support. Bootcamp looks like next year, so slammed I can barely keep up. I am getting the spot soon, will keep you posted.

17. Jack Hackett 4 years ago

When will the commercial be released?

Jack Hackett, I will be getting the spot very soon. Keep you posted.

18. Kyle 4 years ago

Hi Shane anxious to see the final Spot! One question, what is your process for adding film grain to your 5d footage in post?

Kyle, check out the blog post on Cinnafilm and the Dark Energy Tower. This is my go to source for film grain texture management.

19. Mike Miller 4 years ago

Shane, it’s people like you that share what they do that inspires people like me! Keep on brother!

Mike Miller, these wonderful comments keep inspiring me to give back to this amazing community. No, thank you.

20. Jim McKenzie 4 years ago

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and skill to all of us. I’m always inspired when I visit your site. Your work is truly amazing.

Jim McKenzie, HI Jim, these words are what inspire me to continue to give back. Thank you for you support.

21. Jeepers! Your Behind the scenes films are as good if not better than the final product!!! – awesome stuff.

Michael Blackwood , Thank you so much for those wonderful words. I love when all of my teams hard work pays off on delivering you the best BTS. I will pass these kudos to the team.

22. KahL 4 years ago

I’ve watched this BTS 3 times and still love it.
    BTW, is the final print of the commercial available to see anywhere? Or did I completely miss that part? HAHA