Frieder Hochheim Hurlblog Interview Part 1 – The Growth and Innovation of Kino Flo

My dear friend Frieder Hochheim goes into the history of his innovative, forward thinking, Eco-friendly company that started renting out of a small van in the 80’s and now is the industry leader in everything that is soft, controllable fluorescent technology. Frieder and the future: Their new LED technology will blow you away. I had the privilege to check it out in his studio and one word describes the light. WOW!!!! There is nothing like it.

1. Dave Dugdale 4 years ago

Great story, I like all the old b-roll.

2. Chris Gibbs 4 years ago

Kino Flo innovations would be a huge help to kids in classrooms, many of whom are susceptible to Irlen syndrome.

Wonderful interview — thanks Shane!

3. mel haynes 4 years ago

I really enjoyed the story of how Kino Flo came to be. Great interview. Not being in the industry, I have hacked my lighting and I’ve really liked the results of putting a bunch of shop lights together and lighting scenes with it. The occasional inhalation of mercury from exploding tubes only adds to my character………..right?.

4. Matt Short 4 years ago

Great story. Julien did an awesome job putting this interview together. I enjoy hearing the business side as much as the creative.
    Thanks for sharing this with us, Shane.

• Julien 4 years ago

Thank you for the kind words Matt! This interview wouldn’t have flowed together as well as it did without Zak’s editing talent!

5. Ken Lowe 4 years ago

Thanks Shane for posting this.

Great interview, and an interesting story by Julien.

I live and work in the UK as Lighting Gaffer, shooting prime time television drama. I started out in the industry in 1984 and have watched the Kino Flo lighting system grow rapidly during that time. I use them every working day, it may just be a single tube or a bank of Vistabeams but like Magic Arms, they are a obligatory part of my lighting kit. Effective, reliable and simple. – Thanks Freider.

• Julien 4 years ago

Thank you for watching!

• Ken Lowe 4 years ago

Julien, just a question you maybe able to answer, at the start of your interview with Freider there is a black and white stills shot in your footage, Freider is on the left, and I believe it is Robbie Muller DP on the right, am I correct? I worked with Robbie on a film in Paris in 1996, and that guy in the picture looks very much like him.

6. Charles 4 years ago

Great story. Thanks for telling.
    I think I can still remember the first time I read about it in AC …
    Shame for Philips, in Holland (my country).

Charles, thank you so much for you kind words and support. I love Holland, haven’t been since 1996. Need to get back.

Interesting to hear how it all came about, and the older footage was a lovely touch. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

8. Bud Dickman 4 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to put this together! Very interesting to hear the history, I love Kinos.

• Lydia 4 years ago

We are glad you liked the interview. We love Kinos too!

9. Jon Chema 4 years ago

Great video. Cool to see how any useful idea can be marketable!

10. Jon Chema 4 years ago

Does anyone know where the name “Kino Flo” came from?