I am a professional cinematographer who has spent the last 25 years shooting features, commercials and music videos. I decided to share this knowledge to give back to filmmakers because I wish something like it existed when I was first learning to become a cinematographer. My wife Lydia created the vision for the HurlBlog and has encouraged me to give back to the film community in a new way by openly sharing my experiences on the set. My writing focuses on all aspects of storytelling for filmmakers including pre-production, production, and post-production workflow, lighting techniques, technology, the theory and etiquette of cinematography, and in-depth coverage of many of my features, commercials and shorts. I enjoy discussing the art and science of cinematography with a global community. Thank you for your passion and curiosity, which fuels me to continue the journey!
All of the views shared in this blog are expressly my own opinion with the exception of any occasional guest bloggers. However, it should be noted that the blog does have a number of companies that support it (which you can find under the “Sponsors” link).
My relationship with these companies is outlined below:
1. I am clear in letting sponsors know that I do not wish to jeopardize my ability to speak freely.
2. This blog’s supporters have agreed to help keep this blog running. My goal is for all of the funds to go straight back into this blog and employees/production/post production who help in the production of the material and videos for the blog.
3. Affiliate programs with Amazon and B&H and advertisers are another way to support our amazing team: Angie Beauchamp, blog point person and social media, web guru Ryan Fritz, editor Laura Murphy, and Doug Leigh, business development. It takes collaboration and time to make the HurlBlog run smoothly.
4. I have been very clear about my ability to discuss any manufacturer and any product out there – regardless of whether or not those manufacturers or products were direct competitors with sponsors or not. Anyone who knows me is aware that I am honest in discussing the tools I like for storytelling.
5. I am a member of The American Society of Cinematographers (ASC), The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS), a Canon “Explorer of Light” and a Tiffen “Image Maker.” I have also signed Non-Disclosure Agreements with these and many other companies. Therefore, I cannot comment on any future products/features, etc. or make any forward-looking statements – regardless of whether or not I am aware of anything in the future. Doing so could jeopardize my personal integrity and relationships with these companies.
I am inspired and excited to continue this Blog and appreciate your time in completing surveys and comments so we can make it better each year.
Shane Hurlbut, ASC
By using any services provided herein, you are agreeing to comply with and be bound by the terms, conditions and notices relating to its use.
1. As a condition of your use of this Web site and the services contained therein, you represent and warrant to Hurlbut Visuals that you will not use this Web site for any purpose that is unlawful or prohibited by these terms, conditions, and notices.
2. This Web site contains one or more of the following interactive services: forums and chats. You agree to use such services only to send and receive messages and material that are proper and related to the particular service, area, group, forum, community or other message or communication facility. In addition to any other terms or conditions of use of any bulletin board services, chat areas, news groups, forums, communities and/or other message or communication facilities, you agree that when using one, you will not:
- Publish, post, upload, distribute or disseminate any inappropriate, profane, derogatory, defamatory, infringing, improper, obscene, indecent or unlawful topic, name, material or information.
- Upload files that contain software or other material protected by intellectual property laws or by rights of privacy of publicity unless you own or control such rights or have received all necessary consents.
- Upload files that contain viruses, corrupted files, or any other similar software or programs that may damage the operation of another’s computer.
- Advertise any goods or services for any commercial purpose.
- Offer to sell any goods or services for any commercial purpose.
- Conduct or forward chain letters or pyramid schemes.
- Download for distribution in any manner any file posted by another user of a forum that you know, or reasonably should know, cannot be legally distributed in such manner.
- Defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the legal rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others.
- Falsify or delete any author attributions, legal or other proper notices, proprietary designations, labels of the origin, source of software or other material contained in a file that is uploaded.
- Restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying any of the bulletin board services, chat areas, news groups, blogs, forums, communities and/or other message or communication facilities.
3. Hurlbut Visuals has no obligation to monitor the bulletin board services, chat areas, news groups, forums, communities and/or other message or communication facilities. However, Hurlbut Visuals reserves the right at all times to disclose any information deemed by Hurlbut Visuals necessary to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request, or to edit, refuse to post or to remove any information or materials, in whole or in part.
4. You acknowledge that communications to or with bulletin board services, chat areas, news groups, forums, communities and/or other message or communication facilities are not private communications, therefore others may read your communications without your knowledge. You should always use caution when providing any personal information about yourself or your children. Hurlbut Visuals does not control or endorse the content, messages or information found in any bulletin board services, chat areas, news groups, blogs, forums, communities and/or other message or communication facilities and, specifically disclaims any liability with regard to same and any actions resulting from your participation. To the extent that there are moderators, forum managers or hosts, none are authorized Hurlbut Visuals spokespersons, and their views do not necessarily reflect those of Hurlbut Visuals.
5. The information, products, and services included on this Web site may include inaccuracies or typographical errors. Changes are periodically added to the information herein. Hurlbut Visuals may make improvements and/or changes in this Web site at any time. Advice received via this Web site should not be relied upon for personal, legal or financial decisions and you should consult an appropriate professional for specific advice tailored to your situation.
6. Hurlbut Visuals makes no representations about the suitability, reliability, timeliness, and accuracy of the information, products, and services contained on this web site for any purpose. All such information, products, and services are provided “as is” without warranty of any kind.
7. Hurlbut Visuals hereby disclaims all warranties and conditions with regard to the information, products, and services contained on this web site, including all implied warranties and conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement.
8. In no event shall Hurlbut Visuals be liable for any direct, indirect, punitive, incidental, special, consequential damages or any damages whatsoever including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profits, arising out of or in any way connected
- with the use or performance of this web site,
- with the delay or inability to use this web site,
- with the provision of or failure to provide services, or
- for any information, software, products, services and related graphics obtained through this web site, or otherwise arising out of the use of this web site, whether based on contract, tort, strict liability or otherwise, even if Hurlbut Visuals has been advised of the possibility of damages.
10. Hurlbut Visuals reserves the right in its sole discretion to deny any user access to this Web site, any interactive service herein, or any portion of this Web site without notice, and the right to change the terms, conditions, and notices under which this Web site is offered.
11. This Agreement contains the entire agreement between the parties relating to the subject matter hereof and supersedes any and all prior agreements or understandings, written or oral, between the parties related to the subject matter hereof. No modification of this Agreement shall be valid unless made in writing and signed by both of the parties hereto.
12. By submitting material to or through our site, you grant us and our partners, agents, affiliates and service providers (collectively, “Affiliates”), the non-exclusive right to reproduce, modify and distribute such material as we see fit for any purpose in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed. You agree that we and our Affiliates may identify you as the author of any of your postings by name, email address or screen name as we see appropriate. You also permit any other user to access, display, and print such content for personal use. By submitting material to us, you are representing that such material does not violate or infringe any rights of any third party, including, but not limited to, copyright, trademark and other proprietary rights. If any third-party content is included in any materials that you submit, you must obtain permission from the content owner and attribute such content to the owner.
14. You agree to hold us and our affiliates, agents and licensors harmless from any claim that may arise from your use of any of our sites.
15. This Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of California. Exclusive jurisdiction and venue shall be in the Los Angeles County, California Superior Court.
Binding Effect. This Agreement shall be binding upon all who use Hurlbut Visuals services, property, and other assets mentioned in this agreement with respect to this Web site and associated content, and it supersedes all prior or contemporaneous communications and proposals, whether electronic, oral or written with respect to this Web site. A printed version of this agreement and of any notice given in electronic form shall be admissible in judicial or administrative proceedings based upon or relating to this agreement to the same extent and subject to the same conditions as other business documents and records originally generated and maintained in printed form. Fictitious names of companies, products, people, characters and/or data mentioned herein are not intended to represent any real individual, company, product or event. Any rights not expressly granted herein are reserved.